These are so good. I originally featured them in my Holiday Herb Butter Roasted Game Hen Dinner recipe but they go with just about anything.
You also don’t HAVE to use purple potatoes, I just saw them at the grocery and thought they would be pretty.
They certainly photograph well.
But basically all this recipe entails is boiling, smashing, then baking. Super simple.
You just need a sturdy cup/glass with a flat bottom to smash these babies.
YUM. Crispy and delicious.
Purple Smashed Potatoes
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 40-45 minutes | Serves: 4-6
- 2 lbs. purple potatoes
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Wash the potatoes and slice any larger ones in half. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and place the potatoes in an even layer on a greased baking sheet. If you sliced any in half, place skin side up.
- Take the bottom of a sturdy glass/cup and smash each potato down.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and add the rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Brush each potato with the butter mixture.
- Place potatoes in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
**If they don’t seem crispy enough at 25 minutes, you can crank up the oven and broil them for about 5 minutes, it always does the trick!
I’d say go ahead and make the full Herb Butter Roasted Game Hen Dinner, you will NOT be disappointed! But if you don’t want to, I understand *sigh*. These go lovely with just about anything, particularly if your plate needs a bit of added color.